CASTLE OF SAN GIUSTO

The Castle of San Giusto stands on the hill overlooking the city of Trieste. It was the Austrian Imperial court who ordered the construction of a fortress to protect the town and provide accommodation for its Captain. The building work lasted from 1468 to 1636. It began with the Captain's House which was subsequently incorporated into a triangular fortress with a bastion at each corner. Each bastion was built to a different design, dictated by the defensive techniques in use at the time of construction: the Round or Venetian Bastion, built in 1508-1509; the polygonal Lalio or Hoyos Bastion, built in 1553-1557; the triangular Fiorito or Pomis Bastion, completed 1636. The Austrian Imperial Captains resided in the castle until 1750, when it was converted for use as a garrison and a prison. It was renovated and converted into a museum in 1936, since when it has stood as a symbol of the city, firstly because the sentry walkways on the parapets provide a splendid panorama, and secondly because it houses two important sections of the Civic Museums of History and Art: the Civic Museum of the Castle of San Giusto-Armoury and the Lapidarium of Tergeste in the Lalio Bastion.

CARD AGREEMENT

Village Card: a single ticket, valid for two persons, that allow access for San Giusto Castle, Castle civic museum and Lapidary Tergestino at 3€.

One Day Card: a single ticket, valid for two persons, that allow access for San Giusto Castle, Castle civic museum and Lapidary Tergestino at 3€.

SUGGESTED VISITING TIME MORE DAYS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UDINE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS

MORE DAYS - 31 KM

READ MORE

CARNIA

MORE DAYS - 74 KM

READ MORE

CASTLE OF SAN GIUSTO

The Castle of San Giusto stands on the hill overlooking the city of Trieste. It was the Austrian Imperial court who ordered the construction of a fortress to protect the town and provide accommodation for its Captain. The building work lasted from 1468 to 1636. It began with the Captain's House which was subsequently incorporated into a triangular fortress with a bastion at each corner. Each bastion was built to a different design, dictated by the defensive techniques in use at the time of construction: the Round or Venetian Bastion, built in 1508-1509; the polygonal Lalio or Hoyos Bastion, built in 1553-1557; the triangular Fiorito or Pomis Bastion, completed 1636. The Austrian Imperial Captains resided in the castle until 1750, when it was converted for use as a garrison and a prison. It was renovated and converted into a museum in 1936, since when it has stood as a symbol of the city, firstly because the sentry walkways on the parapets provide a splendid panorama, and secondly because it houses two important sections of the Civic Museums of History and Art: the Civic Museum of the Castle of San Giusto-Armoury and the Lapidarium of Tergeste in the Lalio Bastion.

CARD AGREEMENT

Village Card: a single ticket, valid for two persons, that allow access for San Giusto Castle, Castle civic museum and Lapidary Tergestino at 3€.

One Day Card: a single ticket, valid for two persons, that allow access for San Giusto Castle, Castle civic museum and Lapidary Tergestino at 3€.

SUGGESTED VISITING TIME MORE DAYS

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UDINE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS

MORE DAYS - 31 KM

CARNIA

MORE DAYS - 74 KM

Vi informiamo che, per migliorare la Sua esperienza di navigazione su questo Sito, (Palmanova Outlet Village) utilizza dei cookies. La Stessa impiega diversi tipi di cookies, tra cui cookies a scopo di profilazione e cookies di terze parti che consentono, a queste ultime, di accedere a dati personali raccolti durante la navigazione. Alla pagina Informativa estesa è possibile negare il consenso all'installazione di qualunque cookie. Cliccando su “Accetto ” o continuando la navigazione saranno attivati tutti i cookies specificati nell' Informativa estesa ai sensi dell’art. 13 del Codice della privacy. – ed artt 13-14 del REG UE 679/16